Monday, November 17, 2014

Black Ice is a Wicked Moustache Twirler



Title: Black Ice
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Received by: Purchased
Publisher: Simon & Schuster

It is my opinion that Becca Fitzpatrick is one of the best YA writers within the growing genre. She has a unique way of attacking her story and most important, keeping her readers glued to her books. Like her prior Hush, Hush series, Black Ice is amazing and dark, plus so much fun to read. I’ve read comics that feature authors of fiction as guest authors for their comic book characters, such as Jodi Picoult writing for the Wonder Woman series. Becca Fitzpatrick is one of those authors I’d love to see do this for DC or Marvel. I say this because she is marvelous at writing thrillers. Her Hush, Hush series was cast in the paranormal romance genre but it is an amazing dark thriller as well.

There are a lot of adults who read YA and some who are probably thinking about it. I can’t tell you how many times someone comes into the bookstore I work at requesting an awesome title they heard of then are surprised when I walk them over to the teen section. Black Ice is a great stepping-stone into the YA genre. It has a small group of characters but each gets a solid story of development to keep the reader involved and most important, guessing and predicting like crazy. The book also has an insightful message that I did not see coming. It was totally unexpected and something all people should strive for in an independent future.  


CHECK BELOW FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK

Summary:

Britt Pheiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn’t prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants—but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage.

Britt is forced to guide the men off the mountain, and knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that have taken place there…and in uncovering this, she may become the killer’s next target...


Brit leaps immediately off the page. Besides planning her backpacking adventure, she doesn’t have to many other big goals besides making her boyfriend jealous and proving him and others wrong about her abilities to conquer Teton Range. But she’s likable for some reason and I wanted to know more about her story. The flashbacks into her past with her ex-boyfriend Calvin were most helpful. Some readers may not like Brit right away, which is what I think Fitzpatrick might have been striving for. She’s in her own little world but slowly creeps out to see who she wants to be. Brit is a young girl who seems to tolerate a lot. She tolerates a best friend that’s a bit spoiled and envious and tolerates doubt of others regarding her independence. I had a major AHA moment when I realized what Brit had to conquer as a character. It’s a solid story of perseverance over fear.

So I’m going to mash up the male characters into a pot because they were all outstanding. Either I hated, loved or wasn’t all too sure about the men in Black Ice. Brit is in desolate territory with two suspicious men, it’s a very scary place. One minute she sees a confidant then in a split second she feels death approaching. For me Mason’s character was the star of the book. He along with Brit has so much inner unraveling to offer the reader. It’s great spider webbing on Fitzpatrick’s part. Calvin is someone who just doesn’t seem to appreciate Brit and notice what a great person she is, plus he has his own issues with his father’s expectations.

I would like to state that I don’t believe romance is the main theme at all in this story and it isn’t would readers should focus on. I think it’s the message of overcoming the obstacle of loss. In Black Ice the right people gravitate to one another in order to help each other, unbeknownst to them of course. There is moment in the book when Mason and Brit face a bear and it’s very scary. I believe there may be symbolism in this scene, maybe how the two approach fear. If anyone has read Black Ice please feel free to comment.   

Black Ice is unlike any book that I’ve read. I was completely immersed into the quiet tension of the characters. It reminded me of the Shining actually, cold isolate danger of the unknown. A remarkable read perfect for the cold months ahead. I highly recommend this wicked moustache twirler to your shelf this winter.      


SONG PICK
This is a very short song but when I hear it I think of the entire book, plus it has a nice dark and cold feel. 



  




1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.