Thursday, August 21, 2014

Chasers of the Light: Poems from the Typewriter Series by Tyler Knott Gregson

Title: Chasers of the Light 
Author: Tyler Knott Gregson
Received by: Literary & Lifestyle Publicity

It all started with a simple invitation for a review. I found the inspiration for Tyler Knott Gregson’s poetry unique, a $2 typewriter discovered in an antique store. I myself have been visiting antique stores back when I called my husband my boyfriend and now together as a family with our children. So naturally I was curious, but never did I expect to be so affected by this talented author’s words. Each poem I read ignited a selection of memories from my own life. Gregson takes simple moments in life and electrifies them. Something as simple as telling someone you love them is played back in slow motion through words creating the incredible 
                                              moment it should be and is.

I couldn’t stop talking about this book with my husband. I even labeled my favorite passages, letting him know they were special because they reminded me of us, or there were specific poems I wanted to share with our children as they grow. While reading Chasers of The Light I found myself touching my heart, a lot. I felt happy, lucky, and most of all loved.
    
CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE AUTHOR INFO
CHECK BELOW FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK

Summary:

One day, while browsing an antique store in Helena, Montana, photographer Tyler Knott Gregson stumbled upon a vintage Remington typewriter for sale. Standing up and using a page from a broken book he was buying for $2, he typed a poem without thinking, without planning, and without the ability to revise anything.

He fell in love.

Three years and almost one thousand poems later, Tyler is now known as the creator of the Typewriter Series: a striking collection of poems typed onto found scraps of paper or created via blackout method. Chasers of the Light features some of his most insightful and beautifully worded pieces of work—poems that illuminate grand gestures and small glimpses, poems that celebrate the beauty of a life spent chasing the light.


I feel author Tyler Knott Gregson brings a high level of poetry to his readers. With his debut book he’ll give new readers a big fat welcoming hug from poetry. I myself get lost amongst the many selections of poetry and don’t read as much as I’d like, but after reading this book I want more. Which is what I feel Gregson is currently instilling in his many followers of his Typewriter Series. He takes personal and real moments and reminds people of what they have already experienced, or desire to experience.

While reading I realized I experienced the poetry I was reading, I felt special and thankful. The overall theme of Chasers of The Light is love; it’s never generic candy heart love either. It’s elegant and simple, but leaves a grand sensation behind. Readers may not experience what I felt, but I promise if you read this book you’ll reflect on your own life. It may not be on the scale I’m doing here, but you will definitely think. You might even find a poem you favor more, or want to immediately share it with someone special. Or best of all you’ll find yourself wanting to read more of Gregson’s work.

I enjoyed many of the poems in this book but the one that made me smile the biggest is the one pictured to the left. My first thought was of my young children. I immediately promised myself that I would share this poem with them when they faced their first big challenge in life. It’s beautiful, honest, and pretty magically encouraging. I’m sharing this poem because it’s the one that made me realize I’d be reading this book again, and again.



Chasers of the Light is set for released on September 2nd. It’s a great book to have in a book collection. Whether you decide to keep it for yourself or gift it to someone I encourage you to preorder this book. If you do decide to preorder, Tyler Knott Gregson will donate a share of the proceeds to To Write Love on HerArms charity. He will also include a signed bookplate with your purchase. As you can tell I’m passionate about this book and when I love a book I can’t shut up about it. Please read this book, especially if you’re new to poetry because it’s a great first introduction. After you finish Chasers of the Light be sure to look up more of Tyler’s work on his tumblr like so many others have.



About the author:
Tyler Knott Gregson is a poet, author, professional photographer, and artist who lives in the mountains of Helena, Montana. When he is not writing, he operates his photography company, Treehouse Photography, with his talented partner, Sarah Linden.

Be sure to check in next week for my interview with Tyler Knott Gregson.



Song Pick


I don't believe I have ever shared this song before, only because it's so personal to me. Reading Chasers of the Light had me reflecting on the love in my life. I thought of failures, successes and moments of awe. All of them have been with the ones I cherish most, my family. When I listen to this song alone I always cry during a certain verse. Chasers of the Light made me feel exactly the same way as this song. I think it's quite beautiful that words, though small and tiny sometimes, can be so powerful. I think we worry too much on what not to say and this book makes me remember what to say often, to the people I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.