Thursday, August 28, 2014

An Interview with Tyler Knott Gregson, Author of Chasers of the Light

So pleased to be able to share my interview with Tyler Knott Gregson today. It was a great opportunity for me after reading his book Chasers of the Light, which I completely love! I highly, highly encourage you to preorder this book because the words of Tyler Knott Gregson are something special you'll want to keep and share with loved ones. So read on and find out more about the author. 

The Brain Picking of Tyler Knott Gregson



Tyler Knott Gregson is a poet, author, professional photographer, and artist who lives in the mountains of Helena, Montana. When he is not writing, he operates his photography company, Treehouse Photography, with his talented partner, Sarah Linden.



Q: What is the last song played on whatever device you listen to music on?
   
A:  That Moon Song by my good friend Gregory Alan Isakov.


Q: Your poetry has a dedicated following, for most it’s because of the theme of love. Have you ever attempted to put your words to song?
    
A: I have, and I am actually working with a few different musicians on writing some songs collaboratively.  I love the idea of my words being paired with music, the whole thing excites me. 

Q: What is the best advice you’ve received as a writer?

A: I had a teacher in high school tell me that the secret to writing was to just keep writing.  All the time, always.  To never stop and never censor the flow of thoughts as they came to you.  To write and write and write and let the words come out, no matter how bad you think they are.  That eventually the right words will come.

Q: Cupcakes or cookies? Why?

A: Mafookies, and cafuffins.  I made those words up, but my rad business partner Sarah Linden makes these cookies from scratch that are giant and delicious and look like a cookie and a muffin had a baby.  They are ridiculous, and that's coming from someone who doesn't even much like sweets.

Q: I am in love with antique stores because of the experience they offer. I can visit the past; create the stories I write, and treasure hunt. Why were you in the antique store the day you discovered the infamous typewriter and wrote the first poem in the Typewriter Series?

A: Honestly, for the very same reasons you love them.  I've always been drawn to things from the past because I have always felt I was born at the wrong time.  I don't understand a lot of the trends that happen nowadays and I am kind of glad about that.  Antique stores feel like history and depth and stories I haven't heard yet.

Q: Most writers’ say after their book gets published, it no belongs to them. Because of the way you chose to share your poetry before publishing, do you feel the same way?

A: I write to get things out of me, because I absolutely must clear them from me.  Once they are out, I have no idea if they are good, bad, ugly, or anything else.  I feel as though the moment I'm done typing, it's done and gone and belongs to whomever wants to read it.

Q: Know any good knock knock jokes? Share please.

A: Knock Knock.
     Who’s there?
     Doctor.
     Doctor Who?

As a massive, obsessed, lifelong Doctor Who fan, it's kind of a "one and done" type deal with that joke.

Q: There are many writers who are told no a lot. What is one negative and positive thing that someone has said of your writing that you can share?

A: The most positive things I've heard of my writing honestly pertain more to the effect the writing had, and how I've been told by multiple people on multiple occasions that it saved their life.  That it pulled them from some darkness and showed them the light they forgot existed.  I don't feel worthy of that, but it means the world to me.

The negative things, and there are SO many, as I'm kind of hated by a large population of writers on Tumblr, always say that I'm one dimensional and only write Hallmark card type poetry.  I always find this amusing as the vast majority of what I write is about the pain of NOT having what you want, rather than the saccharine joy of actually having it.

Q: The simplicity of your poetry creates big beautiful emotions in your readers. Do you feel there is a key to simplicity in attempting to conjure up a reaction instead of drawn out words?

A: I have always thought it is infinitely more difficult to say a lot with a little, and so if it is achieved, the result is more impactful.  If you can stir someone's emotions with one sentence, just one, I think it feels much more like a punch to the guts of your heart, and sticks with you longer. 

Q: After Chasers of the Light: Poems from the Typewriter Series is out, some audiences will read your poetry for the first time. How do you hope they feel after experiencing your work?

A: I hope they feel like someone, somewhere, understands.  That the things they are feeling and wanting and needing and worrying of and aching for are bigger than them, and so they don't feel quite so alone.  I hope they are stirred to look for the little miracles hiding in silly mundane things.  I hope.

I sincerely thank you for your time Tyler, it means a lot to people to be able to experience who you are as an author and person. I hope you had a bit of fun here today. Are there any last thoughts or info you’d like to share about Chasers of the Light?

I just want to thank each and every single "fan" for their support and for reading all this time.  I hate saying "fan" that's why I gave it unironic quotation marks, because I don't think I have fans, just rad people who appreciate poetry like I do.  Poetry is a dying art form in many ways, and they've given me so much inspiration that people everywhere don't want this to be true.  So, sincerely, Thank you.




All PREORDERS come with a signed book plate, plus for every copy preordered $1 will be donated to To Write Love On Her Arms, an important organization to Tyler Knott Gregson.

One day, while browsing an antique store in Helena, Montana, photographer Tyler Knott Gregson stumbled upon a vintage Remington typewriter for sale. Standing up and using a page from a broken book he was buying for $2, he typed a poem without thinking, without planning, and without the ability to revise anything.


He fell in love.

Three years and almost one thousand poems later, Tyler is now known as the creator of the Typewriter Series: a striking collection of poems typed onto found scraps of paper or created via blackout method. Chasers of the Light features some of his most insightful and beautifully worded pieces of work—poems that illuminate grand gestures and small glimpses, poems that celebrate the beauty of a life spent chasing the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.