Friday, July 11, 2014

The Sound by Sarah Alderson: An Unpredictable Thrill Ride

Title: The Sound
Author: Sarah Alderson
Received by: Author

I was thoroughly impressed with this book. Completely blown away by the originality of the story and the lead characters. There are many themes in The Sound by Sarah Alderson, for one fear is a big one, honesty, and redemption. I’ve read a few mysteries before and usually I can predict the ending. Sarah Alderson totally surprised me, her book is a definite thrill ride and like me, readers will want to protect Ren. Ren is not a typical leading lady; she is never seen as weak. I suppose her being out of her element is why the story reads so well. She and the reader are put in the same place amongst the locals and their high society routines and gatherings.

I can promise readers will not lose concentration while reading this book. If anything you the readers will give the stink eye to anyone who interrupts you while reading. The environment Ren finds herself in is always percolating with new adventures and characters. I promise not to give away any spoilers but I will say the romantic element of The Sound is amazing. It’s written in a very crafty way that you’ll just have to read in order to get my point.

CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE AUTHOR INFO
CHECK BELOW FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK

Summary:

When aspiring music journalist Ren Kingston takes a job nannying for a wealthy family on the exclusive island of Nantucket, playground for Boston's elite, she's hoping for a low-key summer reading books and blogging about bands. Boys are firmly off the agenda.

What she doesn't count on is falling in with a bunch of party-loving private school kids who are hiding some dark secrets, falling (possibly) in love with the local bad boy, and falling out with a dangerous serial killer...

Ren is someone who is searching for an escape from a bad break up back home. I love that she never loses sight of her goals. She is not a girl who is completely lost and she proves this by never shying away of her dream to become a music journalist. Even though she hangs out with the private school kids she doesn’t agree with all their views of people on the island. She trusts her instincts and decides for herself.

Jesse is my favorite character! I feel bad for him in the beginning of the story but like Ren, I waited before making my final judgment of him. He has incredible noble moments in this book. He is also very hard for Ren to read and having the lead character on the fence is always good. I adored the scene where author Sarah Alderson actually had me hearing what Jesse’s singing voice sounded like. Through her detail I was able to hear Jesse sing. Jesse is my favorite character because his story has so much depth and it compliments his best qualities.

Jeremy is introduced to readers right away, which is ideal because he is a very confident person. Not cocky but confident. When he walks into a room people just have to gravitate to him because of his charm. He always surprises Ren because he says things to her that guys like him don’t normally say. Jeremy will surely steal a few hearts in the beginning of this book. He is another character who is full of surprises and will challenge readers.

One thing readers will love about this book are the secrets. Oh there are many, many secrets Ren will slowly unravel and it will create the best kind of thrill ride. At times I felt like I was watching an episode of Pretty Little Liars while reading this—but far more realistic. The Sound could honestly be a movie tomorrow.

I will not discuss the romantic involvements of this book because I really don’t want to spoil anything. But you might be reading this thinking you are pretty confident of the outcome of this book, and probably think you know the plot backwards and forwards, but you so don’t. I was pleasantly surprised with how Ren’s story ends and love the book even more because of it.

You want an original book that is not predictable? I highly, highly, highly advise picking this one up. Sarah Alderson will not disappoint you, she will thrill you.


SONG PICK
I picked this song for Ren because it reminded me of her quieter moments with someone in the book. 





BOOK TRAILER




MORE BOOKS FROM SARAH ALDERSON





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.