Monday, July 14, 2014

So Sad it's Over: Review of Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard

Title: Strange and Ever After
Author: Susan Dennard
Received by: Electronic ARC

Susan Dennard’s series is by far my favorite series. After finishing this book about a month ago I was a complete wreck, and now I’m writing it’s review and am a complete wreck, again. I sincerely, from the bottom of my heart pray that these amazing books, all full of adventure, get made into a movie or even better a television series. Each book in her trilogy gets better and better, every book offers gut busting adventure, conflict from every corner and characters so refine they have me weep for them every time I read their stories.

Strange and Ever After nearly ended me, I am attached to every one of Dennard’s characters. After finishing I had to take a moment because it was so not possible how Dennard ended her series. Then I started to respect her far more as an author to be able to take her characters and share them with her readers in the poetic way she chooses to do in Strange and Ever After. I continually recommend this series to people and I stand behind it 100%. I am proud to say that I even got it featured as my personal recommendation for an employee newsletter for the bookstore I work at. So here I am encouraging you to go out and get the final book on July 22nd, or start the series for the first time. Each book has a Sherlock Holmes, Indiana Jones, and Mummy (1&2, 3 bleh) vibe to them with an epic romance. Not epic worthy, EPIC!

CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE AUTHOR INFO
CHECK BELOW FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK

Summary:

In the conclusion to the trilogy that Publishers Weekly called “a roaring—and addictive—gothic world,” Eleanor Fitt must control her growing power, face her feelings for Daniel, and confront the evil necromancer Marcus...all before it’s too late.

He took her brother, he took her mother, and now, Marcus has taken her good friend Jie. With more determination than ever to bring this sinister man to justice, Eleanor heads to the hot desert streets of nineteenth-century Egypt in hopes of ending this nightmare. But in addition to her increasingly tense relationships with Daniel, Joseph, and her demon, Oliver, Eleanor must also deal with her former friend, Allison, who has curiously entangled herself in Eleanor’s mission.

With the rising dead chomping at her every move and Jie’s life hanging in the balance, Eleanor is convinced that her black magic will see her through to the bitter end. But there will be a price. Though she and the Spirit Hunters have weathered every battle thus far, there will be consequences to suffer this time—the effects of which will be irreversible. And when it’s over, only some will be able to live a strange and ever after.

Susan Dennard will leave readers breathless and forever changed in the concluding pages of this riveting ride.


Eleanor Fitt is awesome as always. She has a great team behind her in order to finally conquer the infamous Marcus who has quite frankly taken too much from her life. Eleanor has always been strong willed, but I feel she is her strongest ever in this book. She is far more resourceful and has a no fear attitude. She proves this when Daniel finds himself in a very scary and deathly situation. I always new she loved him but during this particular scene of the book I held my breath and smiled because it was so Eleanor. I can easily compare it to the scene in Neverending Story when Falkor rescues Atreyu.

Daniel is a character I will always adore and love, the secret reason why is he reminds me of my husband. He is determined, modest about his intelligence, loyal to his core and invents things with his heart. The gift he bestows upon Eleanor is written eloquently and beautiful and it reveals how much he cares for her and thinks of her. He has a very Mr. Darcy moment before a dramatic battle and it was amazing. At first I felt it was out of place and then when the book ended I realized why Dennard may have chosen to place it where she did, Dennard you are very crafty!

Oliver is far more torn in this book. Readers will get a chance to view him in a more endearing light. I’ve always liked Oliver because he’s always served as the level of danger that Eleanor always stopped at before, but has clearly stepped over that line in this book with him. Oliver is a loyal friend and sacrifices a lot for Eleanor, plus he adds a little spice to her already adventurous life. I would love to read a book about Oliver’s life before he met Eleanor and his friendship with her brother.

I beg you, pick up Susan Dennard’s books. They offer so much story; plump with mystery, danger, and adventure. Her stories take you from Philadelphia, Paris, and Egypt and have the most memorable endearing characters. I hope that one day I get a chance to meet the talented Susan Dennard, but for now I’ll settle with my prized signed copy of her first book. I encourage you to have your hearts stolen by Eleanor, Daniel, Jospeh, Jie, and Oliver as I did while reading Susan Dennard’s Something Strange and Deadly series.

SONG PICKS

The song pick’s for this book will be a little different since it’s the last book in the series. I’ve decided to pick a song for each character in the series. Each of these songs either depicts the character’s ending or just overall feeling I have for them. I'll let you figure out the details of why I chose each song.


Eleanor




Daniel





Oliver




Joseph





Jie




All The Characters of

 Something Strange and Deadly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.