Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Title: Distance Between Us
Author: Kasie West
Received by: Purchased

I hate that it took me so long to finally read this book but a TBR pile can be overwhelming. I started reading Distance Between Us by Kasie West around nine in the morning and finished around five that evening. That’s right folks, I read this book in short of a day it was that good. Having two characters meet in a doll shop is quite unique and it’s simply adorable. From the first page I got a very strong and memorable introduction to Caymen and Xander. They’re dialogue is sarcastically perky and it honestly made me giggle on more than one occasion. By the end of their first meeting I was hooked and wanted to visit the doll shop.

The doll shop offers West’s characters a chance to be silly and it sort of winds up being a character itself. I have a small collection of dolls myself so I loved the idea. Xander and Caymen’s encounters with each other are always fun and unexpected. They decide to experiment with their future careers and embark on little adventures testing out possible future jobs. I won’t get into too much detail so I don’t spoil anything but I think their visit to a graveyard was my favorite. I promise after you read Distance Between Us you’ll have a tough choice picking your favorite Xander and Caymen moments.

CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE AUTHOR INFO
CHECK BELOW FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK

Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.


Caymen has a lot of responsibilities on her shoulders. She is continuously helping her mother with the doll shop and worries if her future is already set in running it herself. To me Caymen feels trapped and obligated by her mother’s expectations. So when Xander walks in the picture and challenges her opinion and way of thinking she starts to develop into something better. Not different, but a person more sure of herself. Caymen starts to lead with her heart more and has a bit more fun with life. But Caymen doesn’t make it very easy at first with Xander. She still keeps her wits and silver tongue when dealing with him and it made me love her more as a strong character for young women.

Xander spews charming confidence and is written perfectly. This confidence was a perfect match for Caymen, but Xander is never to be underestimated. He has just as much bite as Caymen and it offers great fun dialogue for readers. He proves his determination to get Caymen’s attention when he arrives one early morning at the shop with blueberry muffins from Eddie’s Bakery next door.  Xander doesn’t realize it but he needs Caymen. Xander has his own issues of family obligation and his future because it has already been chosen for him. He wonders if there’s something he could be better at instead of the family business. Caymen helps him see where his future is best suited.

The ending of this book is worth the read alone. The secret is just too big to even get into but by mentioning it I hope to gain your curiosity. It was totally and absolutely unexpected and I personally love when an author can surprise me. It’s very hard to do these days especially in this genre. Distance Between Us is knock out good because Kasie does a superb job on keeping the focus on Caymen her lead character. The story is ultimately about a young person at a fork in the road. Caymen and Xander have a future but they have to sort through the static to see the big picture. It’s very identifiable for young audiences.

My most favorite parts of the book were anytime Xander met Caymen in the mornings with ritual blueberry muffins. The bakery has local sentimental meaning to me personally because my sweet sixteen-birthday cake came from Eddie’s Bakery so that’s probably why I loved when Kasie incorporated it. But aside from that, Xander and Caymen had their best moments together during these simple meetings. They are natural and most important believable.


I adored this book and I plan to read it again and again. Distance Between Us is a young love story with a variety of unique settings that makes it more special than other contemporary fiction books out there. It is very comparable to Morgan Matson’s work which is high up their in my personal rankings. Distance Between Us is available now and also make sure to check out her newest book Split Second from her Pivot Point series. Oh and her newest contemporary fiction romance due out July 2014, I tell you this woman is a machine when it comes to writing.

Song Pick for The Distance Between Us

Okay so it's no secret I love the 80's but I felt this song was perfect. When I hear the lyrics I hear Xander challenging Caymen to give him a chance and forget what she thinks she's knows about is lifestyle. It's very Xander and what I think goes through his mind when seeing Caymen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.