Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Bold by Julia Swift & Andrew Landis


Title: Bold
Author: Julia Swift & Andrew Landis
Received by: Authors

Bold is an original approach to the readers of the young adult genre. Swift and Landis focus on the idea of what is possible for their characters Will and Sasha if they step out of their boxes. The books format was very refreshing to read. It is written in the two perspectives of the lead characters and offers a real view into the thoughts of these young adults. I did a great amount of highlighting while reading on my Nook because I loved so many passages.

I was also impressed with the timeline of Will and Sasha’s story. Their first meeting and the events that follow are natural and I didn’t second-guess their feelings for each other. They do get into a dangerous situation that threw me off a bit, but it only helped the story develop into a meaningful lesson that I think will benefit readers. I hope that the people who read Bold who might feel like they are weak, shy, and unseen will stop and think about how others may actually see them. Other people may see these same people as strong and fantastic original individuals. Bold is about when a person starts to realize this and embrace it.

CLICK ON BOOK COVER FOR MORE AUTHOR INFO

Summary:

Sasha, a shy, 15-year-old girl who hides from the world, almost dies in a car crash and vows that if she survives, she will be bold and live life to the fullest. Her newfound courage is tested when she meets Will, who just moved to her Air Force desert town after his journalist father’s disappearance. Will is fascinated by Sasha’s brush with and secret knowledge of death.

Sasha and Will push each other to take chances and break out of their sheltered suburban world. But will they discover there is a difference between being bold and being stupid before they put themselves, or someone else, in danger?


Sasha is a shy girl but with a loud personality that few get to see. She’s a girl that is already so strong but has to catch up to this part of her to see it. She has realistic thoughts that every girl has at any age. I loved her sort of confessional when she see’s a group of girls primping in the mirror.

Favorite passage in Bold by Julia Swift & Andrew Landis
“Sometimes I walk by the mirrors in the crowded girls’ bathroom at school, and it’s always crowded because those girls are always staring at themselves, primping. I do not want to be them. But sometimes I catch a glimpse in the mirror of all the girls and then walk out and realize I didn’t see me. If I could see the mirror, then the mirror could see me and I should have seen me reflection. But I didn’t.”  

When Sasha meets Will she starts to factor out things in her head more. She asks the right questions on Will’s motives towards her and decides to just go for it because she made a promise to herself to live more. Her first step in this process is to help Will when she sees him in a vulnerable position. When she meets Will is the moment when readers get to see the real Sasha. He sees her strong soul and admires it more than his own. She serves as an example of what he wants to be himself.

Will is a confused young man who wants answers about his father’s death. He decides that he wants to be a journalist like his father and in doing so comes across Sasha. His tactics may not go over so well with readers but that’s Will, an honest person who makes mistakes. He’s new at school and is trying to find his place. Will is confident in his skin but through Sasha I saw his “shy soul”. Sasha senses Will needs her for something and talking about her own near death experience enables Will to become more focused as a character. Will’s thought process is just as real as Sasha’s. He knows when he’s making a mistake but does it anyway because I think he craves reaction. He always wants to know why things are the way they are, a natural journalist.

Another favorite passage from Bold by Julia Swift & Andrew Landis
“Prove you have a soul. I have a soul, it just doesn’t like to come out, show itself all the time. It’s like, shy. I have a shy soul sometimes. Not like that girl Sasha, who almost died. The one with the toe ring. Her soul is fierce, it knew it wasn’t time. Her time. She fought back.”

My favorite moment in the book is when Will and Sasha go hiking. It’s when they seem the most comfortable and are able to forget everything that they feel is wrong in their lives. They are in a private bubble that will pop, but when it does they both learn more about themselves in the process. When reading Bold I was reminded of authors Tom Leveen and Jon Skovron. They are both writers who put their characters outside the box and explore unique options available in the world. If you’ve read any of their titles you’ll probably be into Bold and appreciate authors Julia Swift and Andrew Landis’ originality on what it’s like to take a risk in life and be Bold.
Trying something new and posting my song pick with the review. This song describes Sasha a bit more than Will but I think it fits along with her near death experience and her determination to try new things. Sasha and Will both have a strong feeling for each other but are on the fence about whether or not its worth a chance. 

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.