Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Brain Picking Time with Brooke Moss, Author of Baby & Bump


Summmary:


At thirty years old, caterer Lexie Baump has a lot on her plate. With a business to run, she doesn’t have time for any added distractions. But one momentary indiscretion adds a little hiccup to Lexie’s plans. She’s pregnant. With no relationship prospects.

But if Lexie thought fighting morning sickness while running a catering business was hard, enter Dr. Fletcher Haybee. Their connection is instant, and their love of vintage rock tee shirts and Elvis music is enough to bond them for life. There are just two minor problems.

One: he’s dating her oversexed best friend. Two: he’s also her obstetrician.





BROOKE MOSS

Bio from Goodreads
"I write because if I don't...my head will explode, and ruin the drapes." ♥

Brooke writes complex, character-driven stories about kismet, reunited lovers, first love, and the kind of romance that we should all have the chance at finding. She prefers her stories laced with some humor just for fun, and enough drama to keep her readers flipping the pages, and begging for more.

When Brooke isn't spinning tales, she spends her time drawing/cartooning, reading, watching movies then comparing them to books, wrangling five kids, mugging on one hubby she lovingly refers to as her "nerd", and attempting to conquer the Mount Everest of laundry that is the bane of her existence.

Brooke is also an avid Autism Awareness advocate, and a passionate foster/adoptive mother, who loves to share her experiences with anyone who will listen.

Find Brooke elsewhere on the web at www.brookemoss.com


I am very pleased to have Brooke Moss here today on I Blog, You Read. Brooke is the author of many books such as, The “What If” Guy, Keeping Secrets in Seattle and Bittersweet from Entangled Publishing. If you read my review of Baby & Bump you already know how much I loved it and think it’s the perfect book club selection for a fun bunch of friends. When you finish Baby & Bump you’ll absolutely want to know more about author Brooke Moss. So here’s your chance! Welcome Brooke, I thank you from the bottom of my nerdy heart for being here.



Let the Brain Picking Begin!

Q. Baby & Bump is all sorts of crazy outrageousness because of Lexie’s sudden pregnancy, her attraction to Fletcher the obstetrician, him dating her best friend Marisol and of course Lexie’s relationship with her mother. What was the easiest and hardest part when writing Baby & Bump?

The easiest was probably writing the chemistry between Lexie and Fletcher. That came so naturally to me! Those were my favorite scenes to write. The hardest part to write was the scene where Lexie goes into labor, because I actually have a friend whose labor started that way—and her son (she was carrying twins, a girl and a boy) died a few months later after that early delivery. So it was partially based on her journey, but obviously not entirely. It was sad for me to write that scene. (P.S. As a side note, I named Lexie’s son Ian, which was what my friend’s son was named.) J

Q. You have a lot of characters in Lexie’s world; do you have a particular favorite that you like to write for, and why?

I love all my characters. I liked Marisol, so that’s the next book coming out in the This & That Series. The book I’m working on right now is Candace’s story. That should be interesting…

Q. Family dinners at Lexie’s mom’s house were hysterical. The dialogue is so punchy and most important, believable. Where did you draw your inspiration from for Lexie’s family?

It’s a mixture of my own family, and the family of a few friends. I think most of my friends have a “Darren” in their family somewhere, so he was especially easy to come up with. And the character of Corbin was based on my oldest brother, Rich. I also really like my stories to feel very “real”…so instead of having really ridiculously perfect families, or hugely flawed families that are so over the top dramatic that they seem just too “made for fiction” to be real. I like to find that balance between human and loveable. Hopefully I achieved it.

Q. My favorite moment in Baby & Bump is when Lexie shows up hopeful at the home her brother Corbin is working on. Drama hits Lexie from all corners here and I wanted to scold her friends for not realizing what Lexie may have wanted. Why did the people closest to Lexie not realize what she wanted?

Because Lexie didn’t let people in as much as she needed to. When she wanted help, she felt too uncomfortable to ask. And when they reached out to her, she tended to push them away and say that she had it all covered. Lexie is a lot like I am… she is sort of emotionally stunted at times.


Q. Like you, I’m a writer as well as a wife and mom, how do you manage to find the time to write in such a busy environment?

I write a lot at night, and then I write here and there throughout the day. Writing is my solace, so I tend to make time, whether I should or not. Otherwise I’d go nuts.

Q. I read your post explaining why you chose to self publish Baby & Bump yourself instead of going through publishers like with your past work. What has the experience been like so far?

Wonderful!! It’s been lucrative and very fulfilling. My self-publishing experience has been leaps and bounds better than most of my traditional publishing experiences.

Q. Finally what are you working on now and any last words about Baby & Bump?

Like I said, Apples & Oranges: Book 2 of the This & That Series comes out very soon (like a week or so! Woot, woot!) and it is Marisol’s (Lexie’s BFF and business partner) love story. Then once that is finished, I’ll be writing Then & Now: Book 3 of the This & That Series, which is Candace’s story. So exciting! Plus, I recently had a fantasy YA come out entitled Underwater. I’m proud of that book… it’s a lot of fun. I hope my readers like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.