Friday, July 26, 2013

Caution! Baby & Bump by Brooke Moss Will Cause Extremely Laughter and Your Heart to Melt.


Title: Baby & Bump
Author: Brooke Moss
Received by: Author
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance

Before deciding whether or not to review Baby & Bump I researched what Brooke Moss’ book was about. It falls into Adult contemporary romance but the NA audience could read it too. I read along with the summary in my head and stopped with a brief moment of dread and then laughter at the idea of the main character being attracted to her obstetrician. My first thought was how daring the concept was and loved the fact that it came from a Facebook comment, proof that creativity can spark from the tiniest things.

Baby & Bump was so much fun to read because I made the connection with Lexie, Moss’ lead character. I wanted to defend and push her throughout the story. Lexie and Fletcher were given dialogue that made me forget that I was reading a book because I felt like I was seeing a movie on screen. Every character, no matter how small will forever be locked away in my brain. I looked forward to the family dinner moments with Lexie’s family because of the down to earth snaps they make at one other. Baby & Bump is comedic and romantic gold and I have to get every book that Brooke Moss has written to satisfy my craving until her next book in her This and That series comes out. That’s right, there is more to tell about a certain character in this very book.   


CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE AUTHOR INFO
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE
FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK


Summary:

At thirty years old, caterer Lexie Baump has a lot on her plate. With a business to run, she doesn’t have time for any added distractions. But one momentary indiscretion adds a little hiccup to Lexie’s plans. She’s pregnant. With no relationship prospects.

But if Lexie thought fighting morning sickness while running a catering business was hard, enter Dr. Fletcher Haybee. Their connection is instant, and their love of vintage rock tee shirts and Elvis music is enough to bond them for life. There are just two minor problems.

One: he’s dating her oversexed best friend. Two: he’s also her obstetrician.


See that line above? Yeah that had me on the fence about Lexie. Because it states plainly that she will betray a friend, but just throw that right out the window because readers will not have a problem with Lexie. She is a romcom character that needs to happen. Lexie is a caterer that hates to cook at home, she dresses up for important client meetings but needs to get into a pair of jeans and t-shirt at light speed. She makes a huge mistake that ends up pointing her in the right direction but at the worst possible time. The first meeting with Fletcher the obstetrician is awkward to the point were you wish you could rescue Lexie but so belly achingly funny that you need to read more. That’s sort of the tone of the book in my opinion because the pregnancy throws her life off course to only put it on a different course that has even more ups and downs, but feels right to her eventually. Lexie also has to prove to her meddling mother that she can handle a baby. She actually shined the brightest for me when she starts to stand up for her own life and takes control of things like trying to buy a home for her and her baby.

Then something unthinkable happens. I won’t tell you what exactly but Brooke Moss, you had me so tense in this moment of the book. The scene was filled with a level of drama that I wanted to take each person in that room that cared for Lexie and shout, “How could you?” Of course the end of that scene was AMAZING and made up for it. What I’m getting at is that Lexie has moments, real moments that tear her down as a person that will make her real to readers. Moss managed to take a character like Lexie and let me be her friend.

Fletcher will get the buy in from readers as soon as he enters the examining room. He has a past that gave him more stress and is now living the life he wants. It makes him seem more secure of himself but still have that tiny cloud of doubt that pesters no matter how strong the person. He is more honest and real with Lexie during random run in’s, for example the grocery store. But when he is with Marisol, Lexie’s best friend, he’s sort of like a deer in the headlights. There is a lot of great tension when these three are in one place, but even more smart romantic tension whenever Fletcher is close to Lexie. Nothing out of line but author Moss leaves enough innuendo so that readers will feel bad for both Lexie and Fletcher and their situation. He was more likable for me when he catches Lexie in her random embarrassing moments and always acted like a gentleman should.

Before summing up this review I need to talk about Lexie’s family. Even though Lexie dreaded family dinners I looked forward to them. The dialogue was epically funny between this family and I loved every moment. Any time Lexie was with a random family member I always waited to see who would enter the scene next. I adored each of them but I think her mother was my favorite, even though I wanted to shake her at times she was still a great and fun character.

All lovers of romantic comedies buy this book now! It’s so worth it and a great book club selection for people who love to laugh and cringe along with their favorite characters. Baby & Bump is the first in Brooke Moss’ This and That series so if you like the first one as much as I did you may want to visit Brooke Moss’ website to get more info. She has other books out currently, and there listed at pretty good prices so I’ll be adding them to my reading list ASAP. Another big surprise is that Brooke Moss will be visiting I Blog, You Read very soon for an interview and I am just bonkers because I can’t wait to pick her brain. I’ll keep you updated on the official date but until then purchase a copy of Baby & Bump today or gift it to a friend.

Buy Bay & Bump Here 
Coming to Nook Soon








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.