Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Another Daring Book by Daria Snadowsky, Anatomy of a Single Girl


Anatomy of a Single Girl
By Daria Snadowsky
Received by: Author



This little number is a definite fit in the growing NA adult category. In the sequel Anatomy of a Boyfriend, Dom’s world of life lessons get a little bigger when her friendship with Amy hits a bump and her parents major bomb steer her future off course. Oh and of course there is a new guy named, well, Guy, who will teach her that nothing has to be set in stone. In Snadowsky’s previous book Dom had a strong sense of maturity that definitely made the story more real so in Anatomy of a Single Girl, it was nice to see that she didn’t lose it but rather let go of it a little bit and have fun.

This book has the same amount of sexual content as the previous book but, at a higher level for the NA audience it is intended for. Guy is someone who has experience in areas that Dom does not. There are funny and lustful moments that are written in detail. But they are written smart so that audiences will see that Dom is in a place now where she can have fun and be more daring.  


Summary:

After everything that happened—my first boyfriend, my first time, my first breakup—jumping back into the dating game seemed like the least healthy thing I could do. It’s not that I didn’t want to fall in love again, since that’s about the best feeling ever. But as a busy college premed still raw from heartbreak, which is the worst feeling ever, I figured I’d lie low for a while. Of course, as soon as I stopped looking for someone, an impossibly amazing—and devastatingly cute—guy came along, and I learned that having a new boyfriend is the quickest way to recover from losing your old one.

The moment we got together, all my preconceptions about romance and sex were turned upside down. I discovered physical and emotional firsts I never knew existed. I learned to let go of my past by living in the present. It was thrilling. It was hot. It was just what the doctor ordered.

But I couldn’t avoid my future forever.

In Daria Snadowsky’s daring follow-up to Anatomy of a Boyfriend, eighteen-year-old Dominique explores the relationship between love and lust, and the friendships that see us through.



CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE AUTHOR INFO
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE
FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK


Dom gets to open a lot more doors in her second story, and even close one or two. She is a character that gets to grow up with her audience as she goes through college life as a single girl. She has a super sweet moment before leaving for home with her good friend Calvin that I sort of hope is explored in later books. He’s sort of the Duckie in her life. She sees her time away from Calvin as a test of her feelings for him, but she wasn’t expecting Guy to be in her time of reflection. I think readers will fall in love with how Snadowsky chose to introduce them. Dom seems very innocent at first with Guy, but after he sets her straight on what he wants out of their relationship she has a feline curiosity. She seems to have a lot more fun this summer until her friendship with Amy is challenged. They have a pretty good face off that I wasn’t expecting but think readers will appreciate Amy more as a character. Dom’s main struggle is facing her future and what she may have to let go in order to pursue it.

I liked Guy immediately for his fearlessness. Then he tells Dom what he is looking for in a relationship. After that, I didn’t know if I liked him as much. Then I realized he was only being completely honest with Dom. I like honesty. He wasn’t leading her on in any way. Guy wants nothing but time with Dom because he knows she will be going back to school after summer. I think the most important thing he offers Dom is security. Dom learns to be okay with her body and what she decides to do with it because of guy’s help. I think Guy offers a different perspective on relationships as well, not everyone is looking for a wedding or something serious. Guy’s purpose for Dom is to allow her to have fun with no strings.

Anatomy of a Single Girl explores the definitions of relationships, whether it is with family or the opposite sex. Dom and Amy have experiences that I’m sure a lot of single girls go through. Snadowsky just offers a bit more of a dissection of them. I enjoyed the ending tremendously because Dom gets closure on her past and we leave her at a point of unpredictability just like the first book. Dom’s character is left with many possibilities and more fun to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.