Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky


If you read YA books sexual content is to be expected. There are low levels and high levels that are sure to either satisfy or disturb audiences. I have read many, many books that contain these ranges of levels of sexual content. So I already knew what I was getting into before reading Anatomy of a Boyfriend which was given to me by Daria Snadowsky, which I greatly, greatly, greatly appreciate because I’ve been wanting to read this book for a while, even more so after hearing Snadowsky was releasing a sequel to AOAB, Anatomy of a Single Girl. So thanks to Snadowsky herself I get the privilege of reading and reviewing both for you this week. I just love when the stars align!

Now lets return to this marvelous book shall we. I was impressed with Daria Snadsowsky’s writing style simply because she doesn’t hold back. She tackles the forever mystery of sex that consumes our population during their young adult life. Every one has had the same curiosities from the beginning of time. Of course as time goes on generations become even more informed than prior ones. You would think that there would be nothing left to the imagination of the young mind but while reading Dominque’s (Dom’s) tale of her first real boyfriend, her first love, and her first time I can see there are always new questions and experiences to be had. Anatomy of a Boyfriend has been compared with Judy Blume's Forever and I personally feel that if you've read anything by Tom Leveen you would be a fan of Daria Snadowsky as well. 

 CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE AUTHOR INFO
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE
FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK

Summary:

Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.

And then came the fall.


Dom’s character is someone who I totally believed I’d actual see sitting at a park bench with her nose in her copy of Gray’s Anatomy. She has the entire book committed to memory and when dealing with her boyfriend Wes, her endless factoids can definitely add humor to intimate situations. Dom’s knowledge of the human body makes her confident yet it also makes her vulnerable because she’s only seen these parts of the body in a book. What I loved most about her was her willingness to take control when dealing with Wes. She knew from the beginning that she liked him and instead of playing games she shoots him an email and starts the ball rolling. She’s always nervous of the reply but the point is, is that she takes action. I don’t know if she realizes how confident she is but audiences will certainly fall in love with her because of it.

Wes is someone who I would very much like to read his point of view. I had the same questions that Dom had at the end of the book and I think it would have been interesting for readers who have been in relationships to know what was happening on the other side of the fence. Wes also experiences a lot of firsts with Dom and I thought that it was awesome that Snadowsky allowed him to be just as vulnerable as Dom. They were experiencing the same things for the first time. Wes is a big part of the book and the character that I think young adults should hear out when reading. Readers who are faithful to Dom may not like him so much in the end but I admired him for his willingness to see possibilities.

I think the timeline of what happens after the two lead characters go off to college was smart. Snadowsky uses emails and text messages to show the progression of Wes and Dom’s relationship. If you pay attention you can see the dwindling of what’s to come and I hope that readers will see an honest example of what they may or have experienced in their own relationships. Is it weird that I want to shake this book and scream to it, “I love how real you are, you are so needed right now!” It’s my version of, “It’s so fluffy!”  

Now down to the gritty center of Anatomy of a Boyfriend, which is SEX. It’s described in great detail and holds nothing back. It is not rose petals and candles; it’s real, real, real in all of its fumbling and embarrassing ungraceful glory. You can either take this book with open arms or respond with a ghastly hand to the heart. Anatomy of a Boyfriend is an unbelievable doorway on what to expect in a serious young adult relationship. When you are young sometimes you revel too much on the forever part of a relationship so when things don’t turn out well it seems like the world is going to end. This book may be titled Anatomy of a Boyfriend but it’s also about the dissection of first love. 

BE SURE TO CHECK IN NEXT WEEK FOR MY REVIEW OF
DARIA'S SNADOWSKY'S SEQUEL
ANATOMY OF A SINGLE GIRL 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.