Friday, March 1, 2013

Song of The Week: Let's End Cover Month with a BANG!

Okay so I totally forgot to post the last song for cover month! I usually post a song every Wednesday and because I was under the weather a bit I spaced. So here it is, the last song and I am ending Cover month with a bang! The last song I have picked is ‘Walkin’ After Midnight’ originally sung by legend Patsy Cline and covered by Girl in a Coma. I am always surprised that more people don’t know about this all girl group from San Antonio, Texas. They are actually signed to Joan Jett’s Blackheart Record label and have a video that was directed by Robert Rodriguez. Plus they opened for Morrissey by his request; this alone should speak for how awesome the band is. They have a definite rock style going and Nina Diaz the lead singer has an original voice that can sing heartfelt ballads and is strong for the edgy rock songs of theirs that are my favorites.

I picked this cover mainly to feature Girl in a Coma’s album, Adventure in Coverland, an entire album of covers. They cover artists from Richie Valens, David Bowie and of course Patsy Cline. Be sure to check the playlist of these songs below. I discovered this album because of the very song that I picked today. I couldn’t stop listening to it wondering, who, is, this, band? Because of the way Nina Diaz sings ‘Walkin’ After Midnight’, it seems more haunting and broken. Patsy Cline’s version is perfect but I get a sense of sorrow and loneliness from her version. If there is one album I advise for anyone to own I strongly recommend this one.   






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.