Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Shadows by Ilsa J. Bick Will Devour You


After finishing Shadows the only thought that rang in my head was, I need the next book, how long do I have to wait until the next book? Ilsa J. Bick packs in a tremendous amount of obstacles for her characters, yet hope manages to linger within the world she’s created. Shadows the second book of the Ashes Trilogy has a new blue print of characters that must continue to try and survive in a world in it’s current end game of the growing population of Changed, also known as zombies.

Usually when a book in a series adds more characters there is a struggle for me with the buy in, but in Shadows I hands down approve. The story takes the reader through the lives of a handful of young adults. Alex and Tom return but we also follow Peter, Lena and Chris more in depth. I can see them all clearly in my head, I can see what they see and what they endure and it’s an elegant arrangement of some very memorable people.


visit author Ilsa J. Bick's site directly.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK.

Summary:

The Apocalypse does not end. The Changed will grow in numbers. The Spared may not survive.

Even before the EMPs brought down the world, Alex was on the run from the demons of her past and the monster living in her head. After the world was gone, she believed Rule could be a sanctuary for her and those she’d come to love.
But she was wrong.

Now Alex is in the fight of her life against the adults, who would use her, the survivors, who don’t trust her, and the Changed, who would eat her alive.

Welcome to Shadows, the second book in the haunting apocalyptic Ashes Trilogy: where no one is safe and humans may be the worst of the monsters.


This is where I usually dissect my favorite characters but I really did enjoy all of them. Throughout the book you are left on so many cliffhangers you just keep reading. The only reason I had to put the book down was to settle my mind because there are so many intense and evil moments. I think maybe because they don’t seem that farfetched in a world that is ending, grasping to survive. The theme of the book for me was survival and hope of a better life that is before Ilsa J. Bick’s gritty characters.

Alex and Tom may have you gripping your book with white knuckles because they are always so close to finding each other. They both are put to the test and have been placed on unspeakable different paths, evil lurking at every turn. Alex is in the middle of discovering the truth about Rule and is in the last situation that I would ever think to put her in. I am so very pleased to see more of Tom in the second book, he reads like a brand new character because of the secrets of his past that weren’t revealed completely in the first book. His story is painfully good and he still ranks high with me personally as one of my favorite YA characters.

Peter was someone that surprised me. He is someone that you don’t want to feel sorry for but just do. He is the definition of survival as he is tormented by a very dark group of individuals who just so happen to have a couple of Changed at their beckoned call.

The most memorable moment for me was the brief encounter Alex has with Daniel and Jack. This is when I had to put the book down because it literally got under my skin and made me feel all the devastation and horror of what happens. I won’t spoil it but it was a very pivotal moment in the book that I will never forget.

Even though this book has a sense of darkness you keep reading, you have to. You can’t turn away from these people because they can easily be you if the world were to end. Not implying that the world would end by zombies’ hands but the sense of survival is always present along with shrinking resources. You have to remember the characters have absolutely nothing because of the EMP, having to set the technology counter back to zero.

This series is for anyone who wants a fantastic read that they want to become a part of. It’s dirty, cold and will make your palms sweat and still manage to have your heartache. Librarians, adults, and young adults need to pick up this series because of the stand out quality writing it possesses by the imagination of Ilsa J. Bick.


DON'T FORGET ILSA J. BICK WILL BE STOPPING BY 
I BLOG, YOU READ
OCTOBER 9th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.