Sunday, October 28, 2012

Settling from Shelley Workinger is a Gutsy Installment To Her Solid Series.


So after reading Solid I wanted to jump right into reading Settling, the second book in Shelley Workinger’s Solid series. This was very different then the first book and a bit hard for me to read only because Clio’s character is put through some surprising tests. She does everything that I don’t want her to but I can’t help but want to know how it turns out. I do love it when an author can put their characters in an unthinkable predicament where it makes the reader react. Much like I did when I kept saying, “No, no. Don’t do it!”

Settling was a fast read and I feel readers will get to know a lot more about Clio. She has many questions lingering in her head and even though she may seem distant with her friends they still seem to work together as a team. There is a sense of what is to come for these characters and how they deal with solving the mystery on campus. Shelley Workinger seems to be setting up something major for her final book Sound and it really has my interest peaked.

CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE INFO ABOUT THE AUTHOR
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE 
FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK

Summary:

At the beginning of the summer, Clio Kaid was one of a hundred teens brought to a secret Army installation. But it was no ordinary camp and they weren’t ordinary kids…

Picking up where “Solid” left off, Clio and her friends realize that they aren’t ready to go home; they’re determined to stay on campus and continue their journey of self- discovery. But someone doesn’t feel the same way and will do anything to drive them away – even kill.

Friendships will be tested, abilities will evolve, and more secrets will come out as the teens race to stop the killer before he sets his sights on one of them…

In Settling we get the same Clio as before only she has a lot more to think about after what happened in Solid. Just when her and Jack start the fun part of their relationship a murder occurs. The school is on lock down and Clio is determined to figure out what is really happening. Clio does seem a bit more lost in Settling and more flawed because of her trust issues, which I enjoyed because she is more real. She will make a huge choice that I’m not sure is a mistake but it is super big and I was greatly surprised. At times I did want to shake her a bit and question why she wasn’t paying attention to her friends and Jack but when a character makes unexpected choices the reader can’t help but continue to find out why.

Jack still manages to be a mystery to me. We do find out something major near the end of the book and it makes me even more excited to read the third book. I do hope there is more of Jack in Sound, the final book in the Solid series. Jack seems to feel a bit left out amongst his super powered friends because he has yet to discover his ability. So he always tries extra hard to do what he can around the school. This made Jack’s story more difficult to swallow because of his dedication and then what winds up happening to him, so sad.

I have to mention Garrett because he still manages to steal scenes and make me laugh because of his in your face honesty. I think one of my favorite moments in the book is when he and Clio take a jog. The dialogue is pretty flawless between them and winds up being bittersweet at the end of their story.

The book is fast paced at the beginning and the end but the middle dragged just a bit only because Clio has a lot of inner thought regarding the killer who is on the lose. She is alone with her conclusions and is left to piece it all together on her own. She seems to turn to mentor Lieutenant Graham and this gets her into trouble. If you are wondering what kind of trouble, you’ll just have to read Settling to find out and see what you think of Clio afterwards. I did feel bad for Clio and am very curious to read what happens next. I feel it’s a good thing that Clio is allowed to fail sometimes and is not seen as perfect. Characters are better that way for readers like me who have grown attached to them. It makes you care for them.

I said it last time and will say it again; Shelley Workinger has some serious guts as a writer. She put her star character through a lot in Settling and challenged me to read on. But I had to because I loved her in Solid and want to see her succeed. But now I don’t know what to think. I was left with a sort of a Revenge of The Jedi kind of ending which is fabulous! But I thought I knew what I wanted for Clio but am not so sure going into the final book. But I can tell you that I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.