Monday, October 22, 2012

Isabella Fontaine & Ken Brosky Bring You The Grimm Chronicles Volume 1


From books and T.V. I can see that there is a definite Brother’s Grimm trend emerging in pop culture. More so with the T.V. shows like Once Upon a Time, Grimm and a new Hansel and Gretel movie on it’s way to theaters soon. I haven’t been too involved in this trend and when I mention I don’t watch Once Upon a Time people tend to glare at me like I’m psychotic. So I figured The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 from authors Isabella Fontaine and Ken Brosky was the best way to get my feet wet.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and welcomed the unique lay out of the story. It is written in three volumes or you can purchase each volume separately in a novella form. Each story involves Alice the heroine, but has her tackle different obstacles in each story. So they read much like episodes in a series. Plus there are journal entries from the character that I’ll get into later and an interview with the authors. I love stuff like this and feel more is needed in the teen genre.



CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE INFO ABOUT THE AUTHORS



Summary:

On the eve of her 18th birthday, high school junior Alice Goodenough feels on top of the world. Classes are almost finished. She's about to start her summer job at the local library, where she'll be surrounded by all of her favorite books. And she has a wonderful boyfriend.

Then the rabbit shows up. The giant talking rabbit. He has a message:
200 years ago, the Brothers Grimm unleashed their stories upon the world.
Literally.

With the help of a magic pen and paper, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm brought all of their characters to life. The world was a more magical place ... for a time. Cinderella found her prince. Briar Rose's spell was broken. The dancing princesses spent their nights hidden away in a secret underground city. The old miller's boy found true love.

Then, slowly, the Grimms' characters began to change for the worse. They became Corrupted. Evil. They didn't belong in our world, but it was too late for the Brothers Grimm to destroy them.

Only a hero can save the day. Every generation for the past 200 years, a hero has been chosen to fight the Corrupted and rid the world of the Grimms' fairy tales. To her horror, Alice has been chosen as the next hero. As her 18th birthday nears, she begins to realize life is never going back to normal. School will never be the same.

As for her boyfriend, Edward ... well, he might be hiding a terrible secret.


This book also contains the following original Brothers Grimm fairy tales:
- Snow White
- The White Snake
- The Poor Miller's Boy and the Cat
- The Godfather



Alice is the heroine of all three volumes of The Grimm Chronicles, which are Prince Charming Must Die, Happily Never After, and Revenge of the Castle Cats. I’ve got to admit when I read about Alice’s adventures I get a definite Buffy vibe from her, especially when she converses with Briar her whiskered guide and friend. Which isn’t too much Gyles but still reminded me of him. At first I wasn’t sure about Briar but after a short while he grew on me. Even though Alice is thrown into this world of Grimm characters and has to destroy all corrupted she comes with existing talent as a fencer. So when she gets to chose her weapon of choice from a magical pen it makes sense she would chose a foil, and it totally fits with the theme of the books that Fontaine and Brosky obviously put a lot of thought into.

I think the story I liked most was Prince Charming Must Die only because I was not expecting the story I was delivered at all. I was really hoping for a different ending but I actually got the ending I didn’t know I wanted. Alice absolutely grows from story to story but this one is sincerely more personal to her and a great way to get readers to stick with her.

In between each of the three stories you get journal entries from the past heroes that were chosen before Alice, readers need to pay attention to those because they hold some clues for her story. I think these added a special touch and allow the reader to pull away from Alice slightly and be able to become part of her story. The reader knows more about Alice then she does and becomes someone who can root her on. It’s very NeverEnding Story!

So if you have an interest in Grimm Fairytales then this may be your kick-starter for a new genre. It is a quick read depending on how you read it. I read multiple books at a time and was able to read this one in that manner but you could definitely read it straight through. I’ve included all links to purchase The Grimm Chronicles any way you choose. Whether it’s the whole volume or an individual story for .99 cents through Amazon, just click the covers. Enjoy!


FREE ON KINDLE RIGHT NOW!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.