Monday, September 17, 2012

The Evolution of Mara Dyer from Michelle Hodkin


First and foremost I am a fan of Michelle Hodkin. Her writing is unlike anything that I have come across in the YA genre. Her series that is based on the character Mara Dyer has a surprise at every turn. I can usually tell how a book is going to play out but with this series I honestly never had a clue on where Michelle Hodkin was going to take me. When I got my advance copy through Edelweiss I saw that it was over 500 pages. This may turn off some readers only because lull moments are to be expected, but with The Evolution of Mara Dyer you have absolutely none; zero. Every page of this meticulous psychological thriller is worth the read.



CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE ABOUT MICHELLE HODKIN

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THIS BOOK


Summary:

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past. 
She can’t. 
She used to think her problems were all in her head. 
They aren’t. 
She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets. 
She’s wrong. 
In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. 
What will become of Mara Dyer next?

Mara is a character that I still feel the exact same way about from the first book. I want to give her a huge hug and tell her that it’s going to be okay and that I believe her. Even though she is a victim in the second book you do not feel sorry for her, instead you see her strength and the edgy sassiness that she brings by not standing by and letting people tell her how she is feeling. Instead she plays the game and has an alternate plan that will validate her claims from the ending of first book, Unbecoming Mara Dyer. I feel that Hodkin brings something new to the character by having her challenge Noah and his abilities and his needs for her. Which in my opinion makes her less submissive with Noah and makes for fun dialogue between him and Mara.

Noah returns as the always sharpest knife in the drawer with his eloquent confidence that makes him even more likable then before. Hodkin writes him as an honest teen boy with needs but never goes to far with it. Whenever he speaks to Mara he is of course blunt, but without saying too much. There is a definite level of taste and class when Noah speaks with Mara. Noah sits very well in his hero role with a heart made of platinum that only wants to protect Mara from the monsters in her mind. Hodkin gives him his own secrets as well that will forever make Noah a character that is very real and identifiable to teens.

The Dyer's again have managed to stand out in this book for me. I again adore Mara’s big brother Daniel and little brother Joseph. These kids are amazing and even though my kids are still little I see my own future conversations around the dinner table when reading these characters. I love the sibling dynamic that Michelle Hodkin as set in her series. The scene when Daniel reads his letter to Mara was incredible and I plan to do the same with my own brother and sister because I feel that it is healthy to communicate the feelings that Daniel expresses to his sister.

The Evolution of Mara Dyer is a psychological thriller that will have your flesh quiver because of the high quality writing that Michelle Hodkin delivers. Mara’s world is infected with a sense of mind violation that will have you guessing and desperately turning the page to discover the end of this remarkable book. You will not be trying to guess the conclusion of The Evolution of Mara Dyer, instead you will be captivated by the need to continue to read and be amazed at how the story ends. You will want nothing more but to get your hands on the third book of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.