Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Mine from Remarkable Self-published Author John A. Heldt.


Of course I had to have a time travel book amongst this month’s featured authors. I was incredibly happy when I got the request to review The Mine from author John A. Heldt. As soon as I read that the book involved the 1940’s and time travel I smiled. The Mine is amazing and I feel that it should be categorized in the New Adult genre that will inevitably be flooding the book world. I think it’s a great little romance that has a lot of historical aspects that keep you involved in Joel’s journey. I read this book so fast that it even shocked my husband. I don’t think I slept much but it was so worth it. Can I just mention that I started playing all of my 1940’s era music again just because of this great book.

CLICK ON COVER FOR MORE ABOUT JOHN A. HELDT

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER FOR MY SONG PICK FOR THE MINE.

Summary:

In 2000 Joel Smith is a cocky, adventurous young man who sees the world as his playground. But when the college senior, days from graduation, enters an abandoned Montana mine, he discovers the price of reckless curiosity. He emerges in May 1941 with a cell phone he can't use, money he can't spend, and little but his wits to guide his way. Stuck in the age of Whirlaway, swing dancing, and a peacetime draft, Joel begins a new life as the nation drifts toward war. With the help of his 21-year-old trailblazing grandmother and her friends, he finds his place in a world he knew only from movies and books. But when an opportunity comes to return to the present, Joel must decide whether to leave his new love in the past or choose a course that will alter their lives forever. THE MINE follows a humbled man through a critical time in history as he adjusts to new surroundings and wrestles with the knowledge of things to come.

Joel Smith is so much fun to read because of his adventurous characteristics that ultimately sets him off into his time traveling journey. He practically lights up a room when he enters it because of his charming demeanor. He’s written as an old soul and someone who appreciates the past. Joel is the type of person who would have a crowd around him because everyone wants to be his friend, but never in an egotistical way. He takes time to talk to people and actually listens. It was really smart of author John A. Heldt to have Joel set in a time before Pearl Harbor. Joel winds up making remarkable friends and even though he can’t prevent World War II, he can at least give them hope and possibly influence their future decisions. 

Grace is simply delightful. She is the special girl that has caught Joel’s eye. When reading her story you get a sense that she has never taken a real risk before meeting Joel. So it makes her character more fun to read when she gives into temptation and throws caution to the wind. Not that she is ever seen as being up tight but she sort of unravels when Joel walks into her life. She’s at her best when she and Joel banter. When reading the dialogue between these two it’s like the world stops for a moment, almost like watching an old Hollywood movie. Grace’s reactions to Joel’s modern day flirtatiousness are written in a way that you can’t help but smile.  

One of the many things that author John A. Heldt is wonderful at is building the attachment to his characters. You guys already know how I love characters, especially when you can finish a book and still think about them months later. Can I just say that I want to personally meet Ginny, Joel’s standout grandmother. Boy is she a big whopping firecracker and most likely why Joel is Joel. She is SO much fun to read. Then there’s Kate who even though a bit quieter then the other characters she grips your soul until the end because of Joel and his big heart. And Tom is Joel’s great friend in The Mine and for me left a great mark of remembrance of what people where like in the 1940’s era.

I LOVED THIS BOOK! Not because it had two of my favorite things, time travel, and the 1940’s in it, but because it was a great story that literally transported me to my favorite era. The dialogue was sprinkled with the 1940’s popular catch phrases that I love and the description of the settings and time where perfect. Tom’s family who takes Joel in until he gets back on his feet displayed what family life was like and how giving people were back then. The Mine does a great job at summing this particular time in life before the characters are hit with a world shattering war. There’s an innocence that’s captured that Joel gets to experience and share with readers. I have personally been told by a couple of Nicholas Sparks fans who I recommended The Mine too that they loved John A. Heldt’s book. So I think that covers a large fan base that would appreciate The Mine, but I also think that anyone who loved the Back to The Future movies would enjoy and talk about this wonderful book.

Finally, if you have not taken a chance on a self-published author I strongly advise you take a chance on John A. Heldt’s book The Mine. You sincerely won’t regret it. He is a talent that I hope writes more because I am now a committed fan.   


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book as well as the others in the series.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.