Thursday, June 14, 2012

David Morgan’s Boo Hag will have your flesh crawl…in a good way.

“Lenny Petrakas is worried about her skin. Not the way you’re thinking. Not like that at all. While most people spend time concerned about dirt and elasticity, temperature and moisture, Lenny has a more pressing problem. Something is after her. Something evil that won’t stop until it has peeled every last inch of skin from the teen’s body. And then, it may end her misery quickly, or it may dump her body in the woods. Let infection and dehydration run its course.”

Uh…yeah, why wouldn’t I read this! I was contacted with this summary by author David Morgan inviting me to read his debut novel, The Boo Hag. I have never heard of a Boo Hag and I am very glad I hadn’t until now. I’m a bit of a scaredy cat and wouldn’t have been able to sleep very well knowing of this mythical legend. But the campy characters in The Boo Hag made it easier to get through. I use campy as a compliment, especially when you have a character like Katie the cheerleader or Brian the jock. The book had this constant Buffy the Vampire feel when it came to the characters and setting. It took me awhile to get into the beginning of the book but when I finished, I was left checking the page numbers to make sure no pages were left out of my copy, only because I was left with a simple ending that created a major cliffhanger, and a lot of questions.

The first standout character was Lenny of course. She is a very smart girl who is definitely following a straight path. I like that author Morgan never dumbed her down in the face of the Boo Hag. She doesn’t run but fights for her life head on, and for her friends. There is always this mystery about her throughout the story that I hope gets more attention in the second book.

Brian is just fun to read. He is always willing to impress a girl and of course that causes him to be caught between two girls. But the girls will have to compete with his first love, football. Throughout the book I sensed that Brian never felt he was that great at anything but football, but he is the one that always seems to have a plan in catching the Boo Hag. His dialogue is honestly funny for a teenager and he is a great friend to Lenny when she needs him and hilarious to read when he chases after Katie.

The final character that I loved to hate was in fact the cheerleader, Katie. She is so superficial and the ultimate queen bee however, I enjoyed how Morgan weaved her into the story. She is someone that you want to see get what she deserves and winds up being in the entire story. She didn’t make me want to close my book so I guess that’s a good thing. My mouth would drop at the incentive things she would say to Lenny or Anna during there life and death scenarios. I will be looking forward to her story in the next book.

The Boo hag was an entertaining escape and probably a good pick for a summer read. It does have a bit too much description at times that could be left to the imagination of the reader but it thins out greatly towards the end. I was hoping for a bit more Boo Hag in the book but have faith in the sequel for more to be revealed. The scenes that she is in are awesomely gross, and detailed in such a gruesome way that you wouldn’t want to be in the same room with her either. I mean she sucks your breath from you in your sleep. I kept flashing to one of my childhood fears from the movie Cat’s Eye.

The Boo Hag by David Morgan is a book that goes against the teen book outline. The lead character doesn’t have a crush on a boy—but her friend does and the queen bee that usually has there day doesn’t. It’s a very different book that a group of readers who like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural or Evil Dead could appreciate.  

Click on The Boo Hag cover to check out author David Morgan's blog. It's Hilarious!

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.