Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What is The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight?


So I was speaking with a friend over the phone and she tells me that she needs to find the statistical probability of love at first sight. I asked, “Is it happening right now to you—love at first sight?” She laughed saying that it was a book title not actually happening. That’s when I was introduced to Jennifer E. Smith’s amazing book. It seems like a simple boy meets girl story but it really is so much more. It deals with a family issue that is unfortunately typical of today’s youth and one that you hope you never have to experience. All in twenty-four hours.

Hadley has missed her flight to London for her father’s wedding to a woman she’s never met, and now has to take a later flight. Stuck at the crowded JFK airport she meets a boy named Oliver. He’s British, and wouldn’t you know it, he winds up sitting in her row. Time stands still as these two talk about life, love, and family to pass the time and a connection is immediately formed. They are separated after the flight and Hadley worries that she will never see Oliver again.

Hadley can seem a bit selfish at times but I can understand why. She doesn’t want her family to fall apart; she wants her dad to love her mom again so that he can come back home. She feels betrayed by her dad because he chose to stay and live in England. Hadley feels he is leaving them behind and running away. She is a girl who wants her life back the way it was and not something new. Families split up all the time now but through Hadley I can see the after effect of a young girl lost. She still has a sense of humor though. So please don’t think that this is a drawn out drama. Hadley is an excellent conversationalist who gets a little nervous around Oliver at times but I enjoyed how author Smith didn’t allow that to linger much, creating a real teen girl.

Oliver is a charming young man you is also an excellent conversationalist. He deals with a subject that I actually did see coming but not in the way Smith developed his story. Not wanting to spoil the book, I think it was original and tore the layers away from Oliver making the typical, confident guy vulnerable. The details that were involved in developing Oliver enabled me to actually see him and his nervous habits, his evasive looks when Hadley would ask a simple question that tore him apart on the inside and the looks that showed he cared for Hadley. I liked that his description wasn’t over done casting him in the dreamy teen light. He seemed like someone you would pass on the street, someone real.

I will say that I was in a bit of a reading slump and this book got me out of it. I read it in two days and loved that it had a lot of depth but wasn’t excessively long. I’ll admit when I see a book that’s way over 300 pages I sigh hoping that it’s good. Because I’m someone who has to finish a book but I’m uncomfortable when I feel forced to read on. It’s great when a heavy read can keep you involved until the end. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is only 236 pages, but I think it’s great when a short read like this is capable of packing in two stories that make you see a bigger picture.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is an excellent read that is just a simple cute love story. Hadley and Oliver both find each other during trying times in their lives and are able to escape with each during a seven-hour plane ride. I can faithfully recommend this book to any teen girl because it has no parental shocking moments in it such as sexuality but does have a lot of flirtatious moments that really make the book. It’s a sweet story that examines the possibility of love at first sight. 

Book trailers from Oliver and Hadley.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.