Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Get Hooked With Divergent

I took my time reading Divergent only because it’s a series and I wouldn’t have to wait as long for the sequel Insurgent that is due to be released in May. I did find Divergent to be entertaining enough to find out what happens to Tris and Four. The details that are involved in Divergent are the basic bones of a dystopian style teen book with a bit of a tormented family twist. Teens must go through a simulation process to determine which faction they would be best suited for. They then must announce at a choosing ceremony whether they plan to stay with their family in their own faction or decide to live in another, leaving their family behind and in shame of their decision of their choice to leave.

Set in dystopian Chicago, Beatrice/Tris loves her family very much but will have to decide if she wants to live life the way her family expects her to, or decide to live the life her heart tells her to choose. Tris’ choice will not only shock her family but also herself. Making this choice will lead her down a path of dangerous questions that will challenge how her society lives.

Tris is a character that I can actually see. Which I feel should have been hard to do considering the amount of transformation she goes through. She is extremely timid in the beginning with a tiny snarl that gives a whisper of what to expect at the end of the book. I kept seeing her warped and bruised face while she went through her faction training exercises and her tattooed story upon her neck and arms. She is way stronger than she thinks she is and I enjoyed reading how she grew throughout Divergent. My favorite Tris moment was on the Ferris wheel during a game of capture the flag. She climbs the entire ride without fear, while Four her trainee, who is scared of heights, follows behind. Even though it’s predictable, that’s the moment you realize that something is going to happen with these two characters.

Four I feel stole the book. He is the typical mystery but with a couple of unexpected turns. Each time I read I kept finding out more new stuff about Four that kept me interested. I had an idea of why he got the nickname Four and when it was confirmed, his character just got that much better. Whenever I discuss this book with people the first thing people comment on is how much they liked Four. I was upset that his fate in the book was so predictable. I was hoping that a character with this much guts had a better ending. I even included one of my favorite excerpts in Divergent that sums up Four, but also predicted his ending for me.

“Two things you should know about me. The first is that I am deeply suspicious of people in general,” he says. “It is my nature to expect the worst of them. And the second is that I am unexpectedly good with computers.”

I love this about Four, and it is why I am looking forward to reading about how his family dynamic will change considering his situation at the end of Divergent. 

My final thoughts are that I recommend this book to anyone who has read Hunger Games or loves dystopian books. You’ll like Divergent but you won’t love it like Hunger Games, but you will be hooked enough to want to read the next book just because of Four and the curiosity of Tris’ future. So you have the time now to start Divergent and finish it just before Insurgent comes out. It’s an entertaining read full of adventure and has a Greek tragic like story that will peak anyone’s interest. Don’t forget to take a look at the trailer for Insurgent below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.