Friday, February 17, 2012

Zombie Corner: PANDORA End of Days



Okay so I have to thank my husband for discovering this unique comic on his Nook. It was a great buy at $3.95 for the first volume with over 200 pages of superb artwork and something I could feature for Zombie Corner. I do love to read a good comic but have been out of the game for a bit. So as soon as he finished reading it last night I read it immediately after. I was impressed by the beautiful and sometimes gory black and white artwork from Jin Song Kim. Author Peter J. Ang is able to create enough suspense to keep you turning to the next storyboard.

It is Spring of 2012, and the most amazing archaeological discovery of our time-- a sarcophagus from an ancient civilization that predates the Egyptian Pyramids by more than fifty thousand years--is being broadcast as a live public exhibit on national TV.

But in their haste to reveal a glimpse of what could be the origin of mankind, the scholars of the OBARI Foundation instead unleash an ancient plague upon the modern world.

This is the age-old story of the curious--and of those who must race to close the door on what should never have been opened . . .

This is PANDORA, the End of Days...

I don’t usually review comics but felt I had to review this immediately since the second volume may come out this February. It was a quick read and a lot to take in. Katie, the teen daughter of the archaeologist that discovered the sarcophagus, is basically running for her life and at the same time trying to discover what exactly her father discovered. People are dying all around her and we must see through Katie’s eyes how humanity is affected. For someone so young she will have to make difficult choices.

Peter J. Ang uses his creativity in storytelling using fictional news media outlets, different points of view and cryptic journal entries. It even sparked my imagination when Katie is watching the news and I swore I could hear the background noise you would hear when actually watching the news at home. I think what I was impressed by the most was that it isn’t about a zombie infection but something from the past that was hidden for a reason amongst an ancient civilization. Honestly, Jin Song Kim’s artwork had me saying eeww out loud when it came down to the detail of a zombies face. Really grotesque…I loved it. I also feel that Kim’s artwork hugely contributes to the storyline creating heartfelt moments from Katie. It really reminded me of the Marvel ‘Nuff Said issues my husband looks forward to.  

So if you are into zombies and used to the violence that comes with that storyline I encourage you to check out Pandora End of Days it’s really worth it and I can’t wait for volume two to be released. Excellent work Ang and Kim, you got this girl to read a comic book again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.