Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares My Official Holiday Pick.


So my eyes where constantly drawn to this book cover over, and over until finally I picked it up and realized it was by Rachel Cohn and David Leviathan, authors of Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Uh yes of course I’ll read you! I’m so very glad I did. It is the perfect Holiday read for someone who strives for better sarcasm and witty quips.

The plot of Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares is brilliant. Dash comes across the infamous red moleskin journal in a bookstore and is lead on a sort of scavenger hunt of dares through New York City during the Christmas season. Dash & Lily take us throughout the city, never meeting, challenging each other with dares. In doing so they get to see the city they have lived in through different eyes. Want to know what the dares are? Read this book, I dare you.

I think Lily who in fact initiates the dares is who I judged too quickly. I was expecting this daring girl that is afraid of nothing and always says what’s on her mind. Instead we find a sheltered girl whose brother Langston was the one who gave the push to leave the red moleskin behind in the first place. From the reviews I read before reading this book I found that Lily irritated people, but even though I got their point I feel that she brought the innocence that was needed to counter Dash’s witty and sarcastic personality. There had to be a balance. Lily in my opinion was a bit stuffy but someone had to be, I mean someone has to learn to take a leap every once in awhile and it had to be Lily when she leaves her red moleskin behind. Lily has a cheery holiday spirit that I think a lot of people still have in a world of Grinch’s.

This is where Dash comes in, a hipster cynic when it comes to Christmas. His chapters are especially entertaining.  He’s alone like Lily for Christmas, divorced parents spending time with their new significant others. Of course Dash has lied to both parents saying that he is with the other in order to have a holiday alone. Dash is to the point and doesn’t hold much back when it comes to his opinion. After reading Lily’s thoughts and dares in the moleskin he is more curious about the type of girl who would write such things. He’s hooked on Lily immediately and hasn’t even met her. Dash’s snarky personality is typical of a teen and not unrealistic at all. It’s always refreshing to read a realistically honest character such as Dash.

The star of this book is the red moleskin. It takes the reader on a fun filled, never boring and quirky trip through New York City. What better time to visit New York than during Christmas. Authors Cohn and Leviathan co-wrote Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares back and forth through emails. Cohn wrote for Lily and Leviathan wrote for Dash with no plan! What a great concept and a great outcome of one simple dare on a bookshelf. I’m sure this is premature but I do feel that this will be a holiday classic, especially with a gold seal of a movie set to be made in 2013. So peruse the bookshelf and look for Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares and dare to read something that will put you in the Holiday spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.