Saturday, September 3, 2011

You haven't read Hunger Games...really?


The purpose of this post is to convince some of the stragglers who have not read this epic series yet. Those who know me personally, you know who you are. Honestly with the movie coming out, and you not having read Suzanne Collins trilogy, you will seriously feel left out.
I will admit that when I first tried to read Hunger Games, I wasn’t really into it. If I could go back in time, I would slap myself for thinking such a thing. That's when a good friend stepped in and brought the book to me and asked me to read it, just so she had someone to talk about it with. (Thank you J) So I pushed through and was hooked the moment Katniss sacrificed herself for her sister Prim. I was captivated with the first book, and could not have predicted the ending, that’s a hard achievement these days. Catching Fire, the second book in the series has tremendous OMG moments, and because I had attachments to the characters like Cinna, I found that I took the book more to heart. Mockingjay, the final book is a rollercoaster of events. Each one gripped my heart pulling me through an emotional maze of love and loss. When Haymitch gives Katniss an order over her ear intercom, and she pulls it out ignoring him, I cheered. I personally feel the entire trilogy ends as it should, with a bit of reality as well.
That’s my brief summary of the books, I could tell you more, but I won’t. I will however tell you what I appreciated the most about Suzanne Collins books, and why I feel this series is different from others. Every one of her characters is in the book for a reason, no matter how small. They each are significant and when I talk about these books with people who have read them, I have realized that each character has their own special moment, their own spotlight. Rue, Cinna, Mags( tear), Finnick (tear), and even the Avoxes.  Everyone has a story, and a purpose. Suzanne Collins successfully achieves an emotional attachment with her characters and the readers.  
Bottom line, read this series. If you couldn’t get into it, try again, it’s worth it. People of all ages are reading, parents are reading because their kids are, teachers are reading because their students are, guys are reading because, well, some girl is. If a book can spark this much interest you have to be willing to give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.