Friday, September 30, 2011

Strange Angels






Uh…yeah, so I really had high expectations for Strange Angels by Lily St. Crow. The brief description of the heroine Dru is why I chose it. She seemed resilient when it came to fighting off monsters, and I thought I was going to read a female version of the show Supernatural, or something like Buffy, a champion expert at fighting, and the willpower to back it up.
Dru Anderson’s father is a trained hunter of monsters. He has trained Dru on what to do if she is ever attacked by the evil he himself hunts. Dru never expected that she would have to kill her own zombie turned father. She is now left alone to find the answer of why her father was turned into a monster. With the training that she received from her father, she will soon find that she is the one being hunted.
Like I said before I was expecting more from Dru Anderson’s character. I saw a glimmer of how strong she could be but didn’t really have the buy in. Her friend Graves is the one who seems to be helping her and reassuring her throughout the book. I do get that she is morning her dad but after the fact she is constantly questioning herself making her seem weak instead of the strong person that is described in the summary. I have a particular beef with major inner thought in a book that is not necessary. In Strange Angels, for me, Dru’s inner thought was always getting in the way of a decision. She was usually thinking about something that I wanted her to say aloud instead of keeping it to herself. It created too many stalling points for me making her seem less determined. I did enjoy the scattered thoughts of what her father might say throughout the story; the author was able to include her dad more, one of my favorite characters. Dru’s dad was an intense person, and a great introduction to the story as a whole.
I thought that Graves, Dru’s new friend at her new school was a refreshing change to the usual guys in teen books. Graves is described as skinny, gawky, half-Asian, and has a baby face with a quiet shadow of what he is expected to be as an older man. He is very original and believable. He provides comic relief that is typical of any guy, and his story takes an unexpected turn that incorporates himself into Dru’s world. Christophe, a half-human vampire killer, is the haughty point to the obvious future triangle of the three characters, and is a surprise that comes a bit late in the book for me. He is the one that holds most of the answers about Dru’s dad, and her other family secrets. August, a hunter friend of Dru’s dad is also a last minute add in that I would of liked to have read more of.
I don’t know if I would read the sequels or not, but I’d like to think that I would eventually get to them. I would still recommend this book, maybe to someone who wants to know what the lead character is thinking at all times. If you are a reader who screams at their book, telling the character to say exactly what they are thinking then maybe this isn’t the choice for you. I get that people may want some detailed depth to their characters and that’s fine, it was just too much for me in this case. If you appreciate shows like Supernatural, or maybe a fan of Buffy then I would recommend Strange Angels for you. It was a decent story with high expectations that I didn’t hate.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.