Wednesday, August 17, 2011

You Should be Reading: Lightning by Dean Koontz


If you have any interest in time travel, you must read this book. I am a huge fan of anything having to do with time travel. My husband got me this book as a gift knowing that I would love it. He searched for a used copy online and managed to get me one. Thanks to the invention of the E-reader, you can now download it and read instantly, and you should. It is remarkable and I continue to talk about it and recommend it as the best book I have read and will always hold close to my heart.
The night that Laura Stefan was born lighting struck, the same night she survived an almost fatal delivery, thanks to a man named Stefan that appears to a drunken doctor that would have failed to deliver Laura successfully. Stefan appears throughout Laura’s life, saving her from near fatal tragedies. Laura has memories of a blond haired man showing up during important moments in her life and wonders if she has her own guardian angel.
This book had me on the edge of my seat. It is written in timeline with Laura as she grows from a young girl into a woman. The people that wind up in her life are lovely and heartbreaking at the same time. With all the tragedy and evil, that hits Laura, you feel that she is also extremely lucky to have the special tid bits of love in her life that Dean Koonts details so well. She always manages to escape out of danger, never knowing what the ripple effect could have been. 


There are many characters that are involved in this book but Thelma and Ruth, the twins Laura meets in the orphanage made me laugh and broke my soul. They will forever be etched in your mind with their strength of sisterhood and friendship. 


There is no doubt that Dean Koontz was a great author but his words sincerely made me cry, I couldn’t help but reflect on my own life, realizing how time is precious, and no matter what family is to someone, that you should hold the people close to you when you think of the very word family. I will always have a special place for Laura and Stefan in my heart.
I will end on this note. It took a bit of pushing on my husband’s part to get me to read this. Because I was reading so much YA I didn’t want to give it a chance, but I’m so glad I did. Of course, I had to tell my husband that he was right, and that this would be one of my all time favorite books. Therefore, I encourage you to go outside your preferred genre and take a chance, because you might be missing out on something fantastic and incredibly unforgettable like Lightning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.